torsdag 3 mars 2011

Clean my own dirt or not...

Its strange how quick you get used to things. I wrote this one week ago:


"When we came home from school today our rooms were cleaned by the cleaner/domestic worker who works here two days a week. I knew about her and met her last week but I didnt expected to have my room cleaned. The most strange part of it I think was that my washed clothes laying on the bed were folded and laid in a nice pile. I got quite bored and in a bad mood later on the afternoon and think it was partly because of this – Im not used that someone cleans for me and it reminds me of the enormous social gaps in this country. I dont know how the one who cleans here has it (i suppose she is better paid then average cleaners) but somehow I consider it as such a sign of the equality when people work in other peoples homes and clean their dirt. On the other hand, people are striving to have a job and I have seen good relationships between workers and families. Cristi S told me about their domestic worker who has worked in their place since she was a small child and that she consider her as a second mother, somehow a part of the family. But there is still a power relationship to consider."

Today when I came home my room was cleaned again. My laundry that I left outside on the washing line was taken inside and folded in a pile on my chair. I am still somehow concerned and non-comfortable about it but this time I didnt react as much. I wonder how I will feel when I leave the country.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Du kan väl ge städerskan lite extra pengar för att mildra samvetet? Eller fråga om hon har barn, kanske de behöver något?

    Amanda

    SvaraRadera
  2. Tror jag ska börja med att fråga familjen vi bor hos hur mycket hon får och hur de tänker kring detta.

    SvaraRadera